Okavango Delta Aerial

Okavango Delta Aerial

Friday 16 August 2013

New works

At the moment I seem to have so many ideas needing to materialise. Usually I work on one or two pieces at a time, but at the moment I have five fighting for my attention. They are either one of my numerous ideas in my head screaming to get out and put to paper or one that has already made it to the reality of a rough sketch on paper but now desperately wants to be worked on to a more definite plan.

There are two batik ideas, one of which is planned and ready to go, the other is just an idea stuck to my wardrobe door for evaluation (time to look at and ponder on whether it is aesthetically pleasing or interesting enough). Then there's a vervet monkey portrait oil study waiting to be finished, a  large triptych desperate to get beyond the idea in my head stage and onto paper and one other oil painting that is partly planned and eager to become something more. My dilemma is... which do I answer the call for attention of first! 

At the moment it looks like the planned batik will win out.... I have spent three days in the prep for this, two of which were working on the computer. I do like using my computer (Mac) for planning a piece sometimes... it is a great tool for speeding up the process and for visualising an idea quickly. As this batik has more of a design element to it I had some fun playing with compositional ideas and colour schemes. I think I have now come up with a plan... so all I have to do is draw it up properly, transfer it to a piece of cotton (or silk - I haven't yet decided which) and then wax it in without going wrong.... like getting blobs of melted wax where I don't want them. That's all!! Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment